Tuesday, January 28, 2014

#5 Taking Notes


My favorite notetaking app isn't listed in the suggested apps so I'll start with Evernote. I LOVE Evernote- one of my top 10 apps for sure. I use it to clip webpages so I can save articles, recipes, directions and more. I usually use Evernote when I take notes at meetings or conferences because I can access them anywhere- my phone, iPad, computer or more. There is a web page interface as well as downloadable apps for devices and computers. I keep lists of books I want to read, shopping lists, some non-secure account information, places to visit with hours when I travel and so much more. One of the suggested apps in this area is Springpad which looks to be very similar to Evernote. If I didn't already use Evernote so frequently, I'd compare the two but I won't be switching at this point. 

Students could also create Evernote accounts and use this apps to create a repository of their notes, web articles and more. Notes can also be shared via email (or social media). 

Bamboo Paper has good possibilities. It's a drawing/notetaking app that allows you to import photos as well as create notes and graphics. I think it would be a great way for students to mark up a map or label the parts of a plant, for instance, or create a web. I wish that there was a text typing tool though. If I used this one a lot, I'd definitely buy a decent stylus. Pages can be emailed or uploaded to Evernote or Dropbox.

Dragon Dictation is pretty darn cool. It's a free speech-to-text app so you just have to speak to the iPad and it makes your words into text. I can't get Siri to recognize my voice worth a darn but Dragon Dictation did a good job of recognizing what I said, even reading a textbook. It only records words, not beginning or end of sentences with upper case letters or punctuation unless you say the proper commands as you read. The dictation can then be copied and pasted into other apps. This could be a fun way for younger students to do some storytelling. 


No comments:

Post a Comment